Friday, November 26, 2010

Every Child has Their Thing

Liam fell asleep sucking on a bottle of water (because he wasn't really hungry, and bit my nipple when I let him suck-he's teething), but as I placed him in his playyard, he awoke and lay fussing in his bed. This led me to thinking about how each child is a unique person right from the start.
Liam fights sleep. From the start he was a light sleeper and a quick napper due to acid reflux. Although the reflux has ended, and he rarely spits up anymore, he is still a very light sleeper and appears to hate going to sleep. Since he is nearly seven months and has outgrown his bouncer, it is hard to know where to put a sleepy baby. At nearly 21 pounds he is too big to wear comfortably in a sling. When I put him the swing, he lurches forward, and I am afraid the little plastic latch will not hold against his weight. Usually, I have to lay on the bed to feed him to sleep. This can be a pain, though. I don't believe in letting a baby cry it out. I think it is cruel, and I will not change my mind on this one. However, I do believe in letting a baby fuss it out. Sometimes this works, and other times he just fusses himself awake and to the point of crying. It's frustrating, but I don't think there were ever any promises that people raising was easy.

Tierney loved to sleep as a child. Even as a toddler, when she was tired, she would go climb into bed. However, Tierney had high social needs and wanted to be carried and talked to a great deal of the time. This was always a challenge for me. Nursing Tierney was rough at first. She would nurse for 15 minutes, and 45 minutes later be ready to do it again. Or she might go 3 hours between feedings and my breasts would be howling in protest. If I hadn't been firmly determined to breastfeed, it would never have worked out.

Caleb didn't require constant interaction, but he was a night owl and wanted to be up as late as possible. I am not a night owl. When nine p.m. rolls around, I am pretty much useless. Maybe this is why the nightlife never appealed much to me. As Caleb became more energetic and wound up, I became crankier and more worn out. It was never a good mix. Add to this mix, Tierney's need for attention, and Caleb's nursing schedule of two hours around the clock for two years, and really, I can't say life was perfect. By the way, those nurses or doctors who tell you your child will go 3 or 4 hours between feeding regularly are nuts. It doesn't happen with breastfeeding usually. But on the bright side, more frequent interaction with breastfeeding is more stimulating for baby (and it's the way God designed it).

Taryn was a dream. She nursed every 1.5 to 3 hours, and slept through the night at five weeks. During growth spurts she woke up a couple times at night, but since I brought baby to bed to sleep after that, it wasn't a problem. Taryn was neither a morning person or a night owl. Taryn was just right. Now as she got a little older, she would fight sleep some, but I think it was because as a preschooler she shared a room with Caleb. Eventually, I had to let Caleb fall asleep on the couch and move him, so the other's could sleep.

Liam is a morning person like his momma. But as stated above he DOES not like to nap. AND now that he is teething, he wakes up around the clock. But at least, I don't have to make bottles in the middle of the night.

I guess the thing to remember is each child is an individual. They come with their own schedule. With some, you may be able to shape them to fit your own desires, but others will stick stubbornly to their own inner rhythms. And isn't that how it should be? We are raising adults, not perfecting babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment