Saturday, February 5, 2011

Real Food for Baby review

I bought this book because I was looking for advice on how to improve the quality of my breast milk. Nina Planck writes that we need to get back to eating "real" food in its more natural state. That means, whole milk, preferably raw, grass-fed beef, along with fruits and veggies.

After reading this, I did buy whole milk. Yes, it does have saturated fat nearly twice the calories as skim milk. It has something else, taste. I am sold on whole milk. After drinking a glass of whole milk, I really do feel satisfied for a couple hours. I don't have that munchy feeling. Now, I haven't tried raw milk. I am not opposed to it (though I probably wouldn't risk it on a toddler), but I am not going to drive around to local dairies trying to find someone willing to sell it (I think it's illegal to sell  in Missouri). If it's ever an option (it is the UK), I will try it. I do want to actually see the cream rise someday. So I will stick to my hormone free whole milk for now.

Next, is the subject of grass-fed meat. I suspect this will lead to smaller, leaner cows, and higher beef prices. I am not opposed-just need to find a source. However, wild salmon and nuts are a great way to get those healthy baby fats and proteins.

Planck isn't too big on grains, I think she advocates a more "caveman" sort of diet, but personally, into each life a little cous-cous and quinoa must fall, I think.

I doubt I will lose weight on this diet, but is fun to eat like the farmers of old did (now if I could just stop eating out and stay away from those damned pop-tarts).

No comments:

Post a Comment